Fitzgerald (The Geraldines)
It took some time for Fitzgerald to become the standard surname.
I retrospectively name them all Fitzgerald from the start
(except for the line that became Fitzmaurice).
- Sources yet to be consulted:
Maurice Fitzgerald, Invader of Ireland.
Apparently a contemporary (12th century) image.
Maurice Fitzgerald de Windsor
"Invader of Ireland",
principal leader under Strongbow
of Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland
by Strongbow 1176,
died 1176, Wexford, age 76 yrs,
- Gerald Fitzgerald, 1st Baron of Offaly
probably built Maynooth Castle, Maynooth, Co.Kildare, 1203,
- Maurice Fitzgerald, 2nd Baron of Offaly
Justiciar of Ireland 1232-45,
died 1257, age c.63 yrs,
- Maurice Fitzgerald, 3rd Baron of Offaly
think tenant of Baggotrath 1255,
mar 1stly to Maud de Prendergast,
Justiciar of Ireland 1272,
mar 2ndly, 1273, to Emeline de Longespee
[descendant of Henry II], no issue,
had issue by 1st wife:
- Juliane Fitzgerald
mar Thomas de Clare, Lord of Thomond
and had issue.
- Thomas Fitzgerald, had issue:
- John Fitzgerald, 1st Earl of Kildare
- Thomas Fitzgerald
granted land at Shanid,
died 1213 or 1214,
- John Fitzgerald, 1st Baron Desmond.
- Maurice Fitzthomas Fitzgerald,
Killorglin Castle 1215,
Thomas Fitzmaurice, 1st Baron Kerry.
No known connection between this Fitzgerald family and the main Geraldine family above.
We start with:
of Dunmaniheen, Killorglin par, Co.Kerry,
got lease of Dunmaniheen in 1714.