Humphrys genealogy

Genealogy research by Mark Humphrys.

Our common ancestors - de Clare - Contents

Richard de Clare, "Strongbow", 2nd Earl of Pembroke

The Marriage of Princess Aoife of Leinster with the Norman Richard de Clare (Strongbow) by Daniel Maclise (1854).
From Wikipedia. Also here.

Richard de Clare, "Strongbow", 2nd Earl of Pembroke,
the Invader of Ireland, born 1130.
See wikipedia and genealogics.
He led the Anglo-Norman invasion of Ireland 1169, in reign of Henry II.
Captured Dublin in 1170.
He mar 1171 to Aoife MacMurrough, Princess of Leinster [descendant of Brian Boru].
In 1172 he and his wife's uncle Archbishop Laurence O'Toole started the re-building in stone of Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin (originally founded 1038). The crypt of Christ Church counts as Dublin's oldest surviving building.
He built the first Kilkenny Castle 1172.
Through his wife he inherited Dunamase, Co.Laois.
Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland 1173-1176.
He died 1176, age 46 yrs.
He was bur in Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.
Strongbow and Aoife had issue:

  1. Gilbert de Clare, 3rd Earl of Pembroke, born 1173,
    succ 1176,
    died c.1185, age c.12 yrs.

  2. Isabel de Clare, 4th Countess of Pembroke, born c.1174.
    She mar 1189 [her age c.15, him age 43] to William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke and had issue.

Strongbow's tomb, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

Strongbow died 1176 and was buried in Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.
His tomb was wrecked when the S wall and roof collapsed in 1562.
The monument to Strongbow was restored by the Lord Deputy of Ireland Sir Henry Sidney in 1570.
It is however believed that Sidney installed the effigy of a different Norman knight, thought to date from around 1330. The arms on his shield are not those of the Earl of Pembroke. [Milne, 2000, p.231] points out that the effigy may not even come from Christ Church.
The half-size effigy has been said to be perhaps a surviving fragment of the original tomb, though it may also be 14th century.
It may represent Strongbow's son the 3rd Earl, who died as a child.
The legend that Strongbow "cut him in half" after cowardice in battle is not true.
See pp.7-10 of [Finlayson, 1878], which lists other theories about who both effigies are.

The effigy was in the past located beside the plaque at the wall.
In the 19th century, the effigy was moved away from the wall. The plaque is still at the wall.
"Strongbow's tomb" is on the S side of the Nave. Go in the entrance, go to RHS, it is a short distance up on the left.
See location no.5 on map.

"Strongbow's tomb", Christ Church, Dublin.
From [Cromwell, 1820].
The plaque survives today, but the effigy has been moved away from the wall.

"Strongbow's tomb", Christ Church, Dublin.
From [Finerty, 1898].
The effigy has been moved out from the wall. Note plaque in background.
See larger and full size.

"Strongbow's tomb", Christ Church, Dublin.
Photo 2003. From here. See terms of use.

"Strongbow's tomb", Christ Church, Dublin.
Photo 2008. See full size.
From Alex Lecea. See terms of use.
See 2016 shot.

"Strongbow's tomb", Christ Church, Dublin.
Photo 2007. From here. Used with permission.
See 2016 shot. And shot from behind.
See 2016 shots of small effigy and shield.

Strongbow plaque, Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin

The plaque on the S wall remembers Strongbow and Sir Henry Sidney who restored the monument.

The Strongbow plaque.
Photo 2016. See larger and full size.
See close-up LHS and RHS.
See wider shot.

"This: ayncyent: monument: of: Rychard: Strangbowe: called: comes: Strangvlensis: Lord: of: Chepsto: and: Ogny: the: fyrst: and: pryncypall: invader: of: Irland: 1169: Qui: Obiit: 1177.:
The: monument: was: brocken: by: the: fall: of: the: roff: and: bodye: of: Christeschurch: in: Anna: 1562:
and: set: up: agayne: at: the: chargys: of: the: Right: Honorable: Sr: Henry: Sydney: Knyght: of: the: noble: order: L: President: of: Wailes: L: Deputy: of: Irland: 1570."

Inscription on the plaque.
See p.7 of [Finlayson, 1878].

Another stone in the wall beside the above, with an inscription about the collapse of part of the cathedral in 1562.
It says that 1562 was when Thomas Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Sussex was Lord Lieutenant.
See p.10 of [Finlayson, 1878].
Photo 2016. See full size.
See wider shot.

Donation Drive

Please donate to support this site. I have spent a great deal of time and money on this research. Research involves travel and many expenses. Some research "things to do" are not done for years, because I do not have the money to do them.
Please Donate Here to support the ongoing research and to keep this website free.

Help       Conventions       Abbreviations       How to read the trees

Privacy policy       Adoption policy       Image re-use policy       New 250 G VPS server.